11 foods and beverages that should always be kept away from pets
- Turkey Bones: Turkey (and chicken) bones and splintered fragments can get stuck in the roof of the mouth, throat, and intestines.
- Tomatoes: all kinds are toxic to cats, including parts of the tomato plant. Ingesting even a single cherry tomato can cause severe gastrointestinal upset.
- Alcohol: alcohol poisoning can lead to coma and death
- Gum, candy, chocolate: many candies and gum contain XYLITOL which can cause toxic or fatal liver damage to pets. All products containing xylitol should be kept well out of pets’ reach. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine which is toxic to cats and dogs.
- Mushrooms: Certain species of mushrooms, including those growing in damp areas of your yard, are toxic to pets and can cause shock and death.
- Raw potatoes (especially with green spots)
- Turkey skin
- Peach, apricot, other fruit pits: contain cyanide
- Caffeine: anything containing caffeine, including chocolate, coffee, and cocoa is dangerous
- Grapes and raisins: can cause renal failure
AND be sure to secure your trash! Moldy foods contain bacteria that can cause serious illness. Contact your veterinarian immediately if you suspect that your pet has ingested any of the above items.
What about the tree and decorations?
Make sure it’s secured so that pets won’t be able to tip it over, which can cause all sorts of issues including broken ornaments (dangerous sharp fragments that could be ingested or stepped on), tangled wires (fire hazard), or injury (tree landing on pets). If you have a real tree, remember to keep pets away from the tree water. Even without tree food additives, the stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria and can cause stomach upset or diarrhea if consumed. Tinsel and pets is another bad combination. Skip the tinsel to avoid curious pets ingesting it. Once eaten, tinsel can get entangled in the digestive tract and cause issues leading to expensive surgery. Unattended lit candles are another big no-no around pets. When in doubt, blow those candles out.